Saturday, July 2, 2011

Canoeing the Nottawasaga


Reading this blog the last 3 weeks you probably think our life consists of nothing but our garden and the meadow. They are near-at-hand, 'in your face' so to speak, so I notice the changes daily. But there is lots else going on, and lots of other indications of changing seasons.


Yesterday I finally got out in my new canoe - a smaller, short single canoe with a kayak seat, designed to be paddled with a kayak paddle. It worked marvellously, though I have a few new sore muscles today. The lower Nottawasaga is a slow wandering river, sediment laden, and very easy to paddle. And we saw surprisingly few signs of civilization, considering it ends at Wasaga Beach.


We were lucky to see a fair number of birds too, including lots of kingfishers, plentiful swallows, and this juvenile black-crowned night heron, which just sat on a tall dead stump while I took its picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment