Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Late Summer Flowers

The leaves are already turning, but there are still lots of fall flowers in the garden. This is the time of year for dahlias, among other things, and they come in a bewildering variety of colours and styles. Some of them leave me wondering if they are dahlias at all.


The brilliant pink ones with the large ball of petals are my favourite, though they do grow tall and lanky, and a lot of them fall over.


The single round of petals (above) didn't even look like a dahlia to me, but I'm assured by the Head Gardener that it is. Very pretty in any case.


And another of a different colour. Dahlias need to be dug up in the late fall, and the roots kept indoors over the winter, as they can't stand to be frozen. It seems like a lot of work to me, but I guess the flowers at this time of year are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment