Monday, July 1, 2013

Macro Shots in the Garden

In honour of Canada Day, here are a few of my favourite close-ups in the garden from the past two months.  I've only had a macro lens for 6 weeks, but it's opened up a whole new world of looking around me and appreciating what we have here.  From the garden to the valley to the country, we're glad we live here!


A beautiful white and purple Cornflower or Bachelor's Buttons, an early spring flower.


One of several tiny Primula that also bloom in early spring in our garden.


My favourite bright red Dianthus or pink in the scree garden.


A bright pink Transcanthia or spiderwort.


A bright pink Monarda, also known as bee balm or bergamot.

Full credit goes to the Chief Horticulturalist here, who I turned to to find out what each of these was officially called.  I'm linking them to Macro Monday and Today's Flowers.  In any case, when you look more closely at these, thanks to my camera, you just see the beauty even more.

And tonight we're heading for the huge Priceville fireworks display nearby.  I'm going to try some fireworks photos for Canada Day.

7 comments:

  1. So beautiful! The Spiderwort really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful flowers and thank you very much for sharing them with Today's Flowers.

    Happy Canada Day to you and all our Canadian friends.

    Wishing you a great week,
    Denise
    Today’s Flowers
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the bright saturated colors of the Spiderwort and Dianthus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering if I've ever seen Bachelor's Buttons. The full spectrum of flora is a realm I have yet to full exploit in terms of my learning. Thanks for posting these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for visiting. It really is amazing when you get the macro lens out and focus closely what beautiful details of the flowers show up in the photo - almost better than the human eye can see. Ingrid, there are numerous varieties of Bachelor's Buttons; they don't all look just like this!

    ReplyDelete