Friday, August 23, 2013

Late Summer in the Meadow - Weeds

Late summer is revealed not just in the garden, but in the meadow, roadsides and ditches too, where Queen Anne's Lace and other weeds dominate.  They mark the changing seasons in many places I go exploring.

 
I have to give credit to Fred, of 'Fragments from Floyd', for the idea of shooting Queen Anne's Lace from underneath.  It makes a striking, beautiful picture this way to me, etched against the sky.  Fred posted a picture like this a few weeks ago and I thought it was so great I immediately went out and shot my own - and it worked!

Chicory is a tough, wiry plant of the roadsides, but I just like the beautiful light blue colour, and this 'weed' is one that opens with the light of dawn and turns toward the sun to welcome the day.  Smart plant I always figure.

Spotted Knapweed is another story, a genuine weed.  It's tough and wiry, infests old fields, is hard to walk through, and hard to get rid of - all the while it masquerades as a pretty pink flower.  And it's everywhere along the roads here.

White Sweet Clover is another August plant, growing 4 or 5 feet tall, but with tiny little blooms.  There's a yellow version too.  Another tough plant, with long roots that reach deep into the soil.

Mullein is a great plant, that grows a rozette of huge fuzzy leaves one year, and then sends up a tall flower stalk as high as 6 feet, late in the summer of its second year (it's a biennial).  It pops up in the strangest places, like back corners of our garden.  But I always think it deserves the chance to finish blooming once it's spent a whole year growing those leaves.

Evening primrose is another tough weed.  In a university botany class we had to gather seeds of a plant we chose and grow them, creating a scientific experiment.  It was really an exercise in how to use the greenhouse and how to lay out an experiment rather than anything to do with the plant we chose - but I chose this one, my one and only time growing anything in a greenhouse.

In honour of the first picture above, linking to:

and:


24 comments:

  1. Those plants are very hardy, and some are pretty. I enjoyed looking through the lacy underside of the pretty Queen Anne's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how a lot of these roadside plants and weeds are actually prettier than some of the flowers that we take the time to grow in our gardens. Your close-ups are absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too always admired the blue of the wild chicory, so last year I grew some Italian chicory, some of which I cooked for a vegetable, but I left some to go to seed this year, so get to enjoy the pretty blue blooms up close. Mullein pops up wherever it desires, so I have one growing itself out there now. Nice blog on the "weeds" that need more appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful images of flowers in the garden. I like the composition and perspective of the first photo. Stunning!

    Have a beautiful weekend.

    Alexander
    Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all very familiar to me but I didn't know the names of them, other than the Queen Anne's Lace. That's a beautiful photo of it against the blue sky. Enjoy the weekend. It's gorgeous here in NB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've seen all of these around but haven't know the names of any but the chicory and the Queen Anne's Lace. I got an education today. Wonderful photos! I think the blue of the chicory is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, beautiful narrative. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful!!! these would be wonderful to share with I Heart Macro, the link opens this evening, Saturday at 8pm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of the prettiest flowers are along the side of the road. I love the Queen Anne's Lace and I've never thought to take a picture from that view. It looks like an umbrella. I'll have to try that angle too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. so happy you shared with I Heart Macro!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sehr sehr schön !! Wundervolle Aufnahmen :-)
    liebe Grüße
    Saarel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very elegant macro shots ~ happy week to you ~ carol, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific macros. Evening primrose is such a pretty plant in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely colors you shot. I will have to remember to change angles when I shoot flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have found and photographed some lovely specimens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shots! The Queen Anne's Lace is stunning and I love your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful wildflowers! I love the first shot with the sky and Queen Anne's Lace. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your flowers and your susans! I've encountered too many poisonous ones...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Personally, I like most weeds, because they provide food for insects and small mammals and birds. Some are very pretty, too - as you have so beautifully shown! They are only flowers in the 'wrong' place!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The visitors just keep on coming. Thanks very much. All your comments are very encouraging, though I fall behind answering comments because I'm out doing photography!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pekné fotografie. O rastline Queen Anne’s Lace som písala aj ja na mojom blogu FAREBNÝ SVET.

    Nice photos. About the plant Queen Anne's Lace I wrote myself on my blog FAREBNY SVET.

    ReplyDelete