Thursday, February 6, 2014

Down in the Swamp...

My favourite ski trail at Glenelg, in spite of the beauty of the rolling hardwood hills, is the trail that goes down in the swamp.  There's just something a little phantasmagorical being down in the otherwise inaccessible depths of the swamp in winter.

You have to ski down a long slightly challenging run through these cedars on the slope to get there.

But after rounding a pond and crossing a small field, suddenly you're deep in the swamp.  It always seems to be a winter fairyland down there when I go, and I take many more pictures than I can use.

You cross inky black openings of streams and springs several times; I doubt you could get through easily at other seasons, even if you did choose to battle the bugs!

There is a loop at the back after you cross the swamp, up past a mature red pine plantation, around some gentle hills and past another small pond.

 
Then you're back passing through the swamp again, on a beautifully groomed trail all the way.

I loved how the sunlight was filtering through the trees from the west in late afternoon as I glided through here.

Then you're out again, up the hill, across the road, and back into the rolling hardwoods to get home.  The best place to ski I've found anywhere in the region!

9 comments:

  1. Magical, and glorious all together. this is what dreams are made of, and we are the lucky ones to see the stunning scenery in your photos. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just so beautiful and as you said, magical, in those trees. I'm glad you took lots of pictures to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a very appealing place to ski. Wonderful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what lovely scenes! Fantastimagical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I wonder if I could manage the "slightly challenging" part though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that golden light on the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, it looks magical in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This morning I re-discovered how beautiful winter can be. Sometime we get so tired of cold and shoveling that we forget to look up and enjoy the beauty of it all. Wonderful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun place to ski!

    ReplyDelete