Friday, June 12, 2015

Pursuing Your Dreams

Our son William’s death has made me think again of pursuing your dreams, as he was doing flying his water bomber in Northern Alberta.  I like to think that we encouraged all our children to follow their dreams, though I know we didn’t do a very good job at times.  And I always encouraged my students to first follow their dreams, even though you ultimately need a job that pays the bills.  We are at least a little comforted knowing that Will found his dream and died doing what he loved.

Will, his mom and sister on the trail above Lake Agnes
at Lake Louise, Banff National Park

But talking to my wife a few days ago we reflected that not all of us have a big adventurous (and dangerous) dream like Will had, nor do they stay focused on their dream for 14 years to get there, as he did.  For most of us, and certainly at this stage of life, our dreams are smaller and less adventurous, and they change over time – but that doesn’t make them any less meaningful for us! 

We think to ourselves it’s important to have dreams, and to pursue them no matter how ordinary they may be.  Pursuing our own small dreams will be one way we honour Will.

Will and his brother overlooking Angel Glacier, Banff National Park

Organizing Will’s photos that I’ve posted over the past week has also reminded me how our bigger dreams are made up of all sorts of small dreams, small steps forward toward our bigger goals.  In Will’s case there was the admission test to even get in to aviation school, the big step of heading off to college by himself, the first solo flight within a few weeks of starting, and the big exam after one semester when a pass was 90% and half the class flunked out.

Then there was the first job, the first flight as a working pilot, the first year-round job, and the big step up to twin engine flying.  Finally, after 14 years and thousands of hours of air time there was applying successfully to be a water bomber.

Will and his brother fishing in Northern B.C.

We need to break down our dreams and take those single small steps toward them.  For me it’s more photography and writing, for his mother, it’s creative fabric art.  And for both of us, a lot more time with family!  And our children and their partners have their own dreams too.  We aren’t there yet, but the tremendous outpouring of support we’ve experienced and the support of our son and daughter, will get us there.  It’s the only way we can honour William and the life he lived.

Will with yet another fish!

All these photos are scanned from slides from 25-30 years ago.


15 comments:

  1. A very heartwarming post. I'm so sorry about your son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having lost my own son to a heart attack twelve years ago, I know what you are experiencing, and although it's very very hard right now, one day you will think of Will with only smiles in your heart for all the years you shared. At least, that's what it has turned into for me. Blessings from my heart to yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss. A touching post about your son. Thanks for ID for Foxtail Lilies on my blog. I mentioned your name and made the necessary corrections on my post this morning. Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post and photos . We all have different dreams some get to live them and some dont but remember this Follow your passion, be prepared to work hard and sacrifice, and, above all, don't let anyone limit your dreams. Thanks for sharing , have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what you have to do to carry on. It's a dream to get there. As you say one step at a time. You're on your way once you know where you're going. Yes, 90% ! I remember that shock. I did get my private pilot's license.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely heartfelt post, you were lucky to have Will in your lives.
    When you get older your dreams and outlook change for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many firsts, and hurdles to jump, in the pursuit of a dream, that did come true. Will had adventures some of us do not even dream of, he was an achiever, a son, brother, family man, a pilot, a friend to so many, and much more. Reaching that goal , and doing what he loved so much, in our lives we cannot ask for more than to be happy every day, and I am sure Will was passionately so when flying. My dreams have changed so much over the last few years, and I am sure that some, I will not reach at all, and have substituted lesser ones that are achievable. Dreams, like our lives, change with the years. Will, your photos that have been shared with us, a small window into your wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful post that brought tears to my eyes. Will worked hard to make his dream come true. Sounds like he enjoyed life. : )

    Ken and I are working on one of those little dreams right now - a little cabin in the woods. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very wonderful well-written post. A good reminder that there's much more to life than work and house chores and that we should all spend time pursuing our dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderfully said. From all the travelling you did with the kids in these shots, you broadened their horizons, particularly William's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping that sharing these photos with us has brought you some healing from Will's death. He was a handsome and adventurous guy, and he may never have been so successful without his wonderful parents behind him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fine post telling of a young man's determined & successful journey to turn his dreams into reality.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I have witnessed the loss of a child by very close friends, it is not something I have personally experienced. May your path of grief be walked with good memories, good friends and your loved ones. My almost 75 year old husband rode in a bike tour tonight, pursuing his dream of riding a bike again. He is loving this dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just returned here and learned of your sons death. I am SO sorry to hear. These posts are such an amazing tribute to an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear your loss ..
    but I can feel the LOVE that spread out to all

    ReplyDelete