Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Barn Collective

One of my favourite photo subjects now is old barns, of which there are plenty in the valley.  And therefore one of my favourite blog memes is The Barn Collective, where participants share pictures of barns, many of which are quite fascinating.  I shared a lot of winter barn pictures, so now it's time to include a few over the summer.

Repeatedly I think this is my favourite barn view in the valley.  Taken from driving down Bowles Hill looking north, it includes the big headlands of the Niagara Escarpment along the east side of the valley.  Today the fluffy cumulus clouds were casting moving shadows as they blew out of the northwest.

This is another barn I see when I drive north to Meaford, down a long lane a fair distance from the road.

I took a closer look today, and unfortunately I think this could easily end up being a 'before' picture all too soon.  I think the house is gone on this farm, and the fields are just rented out for cash crops.

Sadly, too many of our barns end up like this before long if they are not kept in good shape - this one on the farm next door to the barn above.

But across the road there's a barn that still seems in quite good shape.  It's behind the hill, so I can't really tell if it's being used, but this view with the green field up front appealed to me.

The barn itself looks well cared for, and that's a big new black door on the front.

Linking to

The Barn Collective


12 comments:

  1. A beautiful selection. I can see the appeal of the first one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The landscape in your neck of the woods may be a bit different, but the barns would be right at home here. Lots of unpainted barns with rusty roofs! Thanks for linking up this week and I hope that you will return again. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes too are attracted to old barns & I've have been thinking for some time of photographing them in our area as well. They are a historic part of yesteryear & are fading fast. I see many of them in various states of disrepair in our weekly back roads country drives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like barns, too. Are they on their way out? I see fewer and fewer of them, and the ones I see are all pretty ancient. Nice pictures of these barns. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the old barns are of such sturdy stock that they last a long time, even if not cared for. Where farming is less prosperous, the barns often fall into disrepair, but they are still awesome to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is just something about barns that draw must of us in. Great old barn pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The old barns don't fit with modern farming and, unfortunately, many farm owners don't seem to be able or interested in maintaining these beautiful pieces of history. As things are, soon all we'll have are the photos of the old barns -- please keep taking their portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great shots. Old barns is a favourite photo theme for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barns speak of another time. Becoming almost a novelty like buggy whips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barns such as those you have in your photos document a time past. I documented a barn twenty-five years ago as to its use and who built it. Fun project. wish that folks had time to find out more info on these barns such as builders, use, etc. But what am I talking about -- I hardly have time to do such research anymore. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barns such as those you have in your photos document a time past. I documented a barn twenty-five years ago as to its use and who built it. Fun project. wish that folks had time to find out more info on these barns such as builders, use, etc. But what am I talking about -- I hardly have time to do such research anymore. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. A good barn is a wonderful thing, :)

    ReplyDelete