Thursday, April 14, 2016

Flooded Fields

These fields and fences are from a few days or a few weeks ago, but computer gremlins are preventing me from editing wonderful waterfall shots from today's expedition. Besides, the water table is still incredibly high, with lots of small lakes in fields, so this is what the landscape here still looks like, minus the snow.  I think it's because of the clay soil that doesn't let the water drain away, but I've never seen so many large areas of water in the fields around here, a full two weeks after the heavy downpours we had.

   
There's usually a little pond in this field above, which we pass every day on the way into town, but never a lake like this flooding the fences.  As you can see it's still got a skim of ice, but it's all water now.  I'm going to have some fun with comparison shots later in the summer.

I liked this fence just because of the motely collection of cedar rails; the reflections made it even better.

It was actually snowing the day I took these photos, giving you a bit of a ghostly atmosphere.

And just around the corner is a horse farm with some quite nice fences - though the horses certainly weren't out on a day like this!

****

In complete contrast to these photos we had a bright sunny and almost 'warm' day today.  We went off exploring waterfalls, while they are still in spring's high flow mode.  We actually sat in our deckchairs at the side of the road for lunch.  Got some great pictures, but at the moment the computer gremlins are making my blogging life rather frustrating!  My desktop computer that I edit photos on won't connect to the internet, so I'm using an old laptop for this.  But it's so small I can hardly read the screen.  And of course the keyboard is slightly different.  As someone who types without thinking about it (using all my fingers), I keep hitting the wrong keys on the laptop.  But I'm not letting myself get too frustrated.  The desktop has been to the shop and been declared totally healthy, so tomorrow our internet service provider is coming to check out that side of things.  We shall see!

In the meantime, how's this for a forecast!  The top two pictures just 2 or 3 days ago, and now this.  I think spring is finally here!


Linking to:

15 comments:

  1. There is a ghostly ethereal feel to some of these shots. We've also seen warmer temps here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! The water will slowly disappear and the countryside will refurn to normal; let's hope anyway.

    Good luck with the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great fence pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Water everywhere, computer keyboards, when I used Hugh's during the time mine was away, I kept hitting the wrong keys too, and now mine is back, I am doing the same. The joy to be back with Open Live Writer, and all other programs. Love the reflections, super shots with clear skies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really have been hit with a lot of water! Our forecast is not the best either.

    Computer issues can really cause us some frustration! I've not been reading blogs or blogging much because of eye problems. Cataracts had made reading on the screen just to uncomfortable. Finally, I am doing better since the right eye was done two weeks ago. The left eye will be done next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like those shots with the split-rail fences. Wish we had some of your water!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, that is a lot of water. I would think that means there would not be any shortage of water this year. Pretty scenes and sky! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lov those shots of the motley fence with snowflakes. And yes, you're finally got spring! Nice weather ahead for us, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like lakes instead of fields. : )
    Nice to see those sunny days coming up for you. Sunny days here too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting shots.... but difficult for those who live there.
    Wishing you sunny days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wild and crazy land you have. I like the flooding, but if it happened to me, than I might not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a bunch of water! We are real dry but hope for rain over the weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These fence photos are really quite beautiful with the light snow falling and the lighting. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooooh dear, that forecast scares me! here we are looking at the exact same sunny days but temperatures in the 60's and 70's, i am very grateful!! although i LOVE winter, i am welcoming spring (and my bike) with open arms.

    your images are always lovely, do you always edit them?? and i wonder in what way?? i have never edited a picture on my blog, never, not ever!!!

    pretty fences, i like that style....but that's a lot of water, i guess it's the melting snow!!

    ReplyDelete