Sunday, August 28, 2016

Barn Quilt Trail

After spotting this quilt block on a barn up the road two weeks ago, I strated investigating.  Turns out there is a brand new "For the Love of Grey Barn Quilt Trail", started just this past June, centred so far around the hamlet of Rocklyn, a few miles to the north.  The other day I went out to find what I could using their map.

Here's the original one I found two weeks ago.

Another colourful one with an interesting pattern.  These all appear to be painted on two 4x8 sheets of plywood and mounted on the barn.

I liked this one that looked like a Scotch Thistle pattern.

There was one I never did get a clear view of, because the barn is behind both the house and some trees, but it's a bright star pattern.

And this was a nice mainly green pattern, rather unusual design I thought.

The "For the Love of Grey Barn Quilt Trail" has its own Facebook page, which tells you a bit about the history of this new initiative, and provides a map for anyone to drive around and spot them.  They are not all in place yet, but it will be an interesting addition to our countryside when they all are.  More participants are welcome.


17 comments:

  1. Wow - those are some great quilt barns. Love the Double Wedding Ring (first one) - and the Thistle (second one). Someone put a lot of work into those paintings. We saw some in West Virginia a few years back - but nothing as good as these. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All barns have a design in them which looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it might be better than a wine tasting trail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A creative addition to barns and so beautiful. I wonder how long it will be before we have them here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos, so nice to dress up the old barns with colourful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, what a pretty collection of barn quilts. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great quilt squares patterns, and so well done. I'm going to check the link now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I simply love the whole idea of quilt barns. They are all very decorative and delightful. Thanks for going around and getting these pictures. I look forward to the next installment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. a beautiful collection of barn quilts. i was going to pick a favorite but i decided to love them all equally!! i never see these in this area!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some interesting patterns in those barn quilts. I can't recall that being a habit when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love these barn quilts. They are beautiful and the barns are so nice too. There is the odd one here in NB and I think there is a 'trail' in southern NB.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look good don't they.
    My favourite is the Scotch thistle pattern.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice shots of the quilt barns. I still haven't taken any pictures of them around here. I'll have to make it a point to look into it and see how many there actually are here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful idea! Really beautifies these old barns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How neat... I love seeing Quilt Barns---and the grey barns really give a nice background for a quilt block.. I like them all --but especially like the green one at the bottom... GORGEOUS. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love seeing the barn quilts, I love that barns are highlighted this way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, these are wonderful...that last one has been really popular, or was for a little while recently. I have not seen it popping up as much, but maybe because I am not on the computer as much...googe Swoon quilt and click on images...it is amazing what different colors can do...and some of them are even made a little bit different.

    But I really love all of these....

    ReplyDelete