Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Helenium

I think I wrote last year that Helenium is my favourite fall flower.  It's one of those surprising flowers that looks better from below that from above, and it's fairly new in our garden.

Maybe part of what I like is just the colour, because we have so many yellow flowers in the garden just now; a flash of orange or red is really noticeable.

It's actually a mostly yellow flower from above.  Last year it was five feet tall; this year it's only 3.  I hope it's not going to die out, but I put it down to the extremely dry month we've had.

This is the whole patch we have in the garden, offset nicely by the purple Phlox.

So I had to lie down on my elbows and look look upwards to get these pictures.  It's a stunningly different flower from below.

The flower centre starts out green, but opens up to a raised golden-brown.

And eventually, this interesting pattern of dark brown with golden squiggles!  It's one of the nicest additions to our garden in recent years.




12 comments:

  1. What a gem of a late season flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beauty in a simple flower! Love the shots from below!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with this flower. Looks neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are gorgeous images and flowers. Enjoy your day and the weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Helenium --especially from the bottom looking up. Reminds me of one of our Roses, named About Face... That rose looks better from the bottom looking up also...

    Great set of pictures.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's unusual to find a flower that's prettier on it's underside. But you're right - it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm glad you laid on your elbows to get these captures ... they are excellent, and what a great colour the blooms are too!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning, and a fitting color for the end days of Summer.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photography is spectacular and well framed. On your elbows...an interesting thought. I am now looking for some Helenium for my garden

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely photos, well worth the gymnastics. I would have loved to see a photo of you taking the photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful flower - I'd not heard of it before - thanks for taking time to lie down and get the wonderful view from below.

    ReplyDelete