Friday, December 23, 2016

Goldfinch and a Red Squirrel

Besides the Chickadees, the Goldfinch are the most common birds at our feeders.  They come in a flock, sometimes just a few of them, but sometimes 20 or 30.  And they crowd the Niger seed feeder, or eat spilled sunflowers below the other feeders - or sometimes sit on that sunflower seed feeder.

There are only 4 spaces on these 'squirrel proof' feeders, but these Goldfinch were impatent.  The Chickadees often lose out to a crowd like this.

You're more likely to see them on the Niger seed feeder, but it must take them a long time to eat enough of those tiny seeds.

During the day of the big storm the Goldfinch seemed particularly desperate for food, and they were really crowding this small feeder.  The snow was falling heavily, so there's lots of blurring in these photos, to say nothing of the moving birds!

I think 8 was the most birds I saw trying to crowd onto this feeder.

And some of them were not very pleased when others arrived.

We also have a small Red Squirrel that visits, but it's restricted to the seeds that fall on the snow.  Those 'squirrel proof' feeders actually work!

Linking to:

15 comments:

  1. I like all of your photo's ... especially the red squirrel.

    Merry Christmas wishes to you and yours.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great photos you took of the brids at the feeders, FG. They must be fun to watch!

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these little birds. Great shots!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goldfinches also come in large groups. You got some great captures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved seeing all your hungry goldfinches! They sure do get angry at each other, but fun to watch. I've tried so many different feeders to keep the squirrels off, but I haven't tried the type you have. Last winter I was just throwing the seeds onto the ground to give everyone a fair chance. Otherwise the squirrels would hang from the feeders until they were empty, which took about half an hour. If you say these feeders work, I think I may try them next!
    Merry Christmas!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice bird feeder photos and some action shots to boot/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the "not very pleased" shot! You must be pleased with that. Merry Christmas to you and your family. We have slightly colder weather today in London are promised record high temperatures somewhere in the UK, and most of Europe is far too warm and no snow. Sad for all the ski stations who have traditionally had a lot of business at this time of year. Our village (in Switzerland) was on the Swiss news last night. Gorgeous blue skies and bright sunshine so it looks lovely.... but no snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to feed the birds, but it got out of hand, and I was spending so much on feed (especially niger) and the mess bothered my neighbors. So when I moved to another apartment in the summertime, I stopped feeding them. Your pictures make me miss them, though. Great action shots! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're such delightful company to have around. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, awesome collection of goldfinches. I am missing them here in Florida. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy weekend! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice shot of the birds and a good action one too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The birds are great, but my favorite is the squirrel photo
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The squirrels here have learned that if they they swat the feeder a few seeds will fall out. They then descend to the ground and feed, go back up and repeat the same procedure. It's hard to absolutely defeat a squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fantastic shots of the lovely birds, and so many of them! I can see the scheming in the squirrel's eyes!

    ReplyDelete