Saturday, July 8, 2017

Summer Barns

It's been awhile since I've shared any pictures of barns around the valley.  Can't help but pick up a few of these shots while I'm out chasing pictures of crops - which I'm doing a lot these days.  First, a couple of my favourite barn views.

I've got pictures of these two barns in all four seasons.  Someday I must pull them all together.

This unusual barn we've visited, because it's the site of an interesting garden that used to be open to the public.  This time we passed it driving over to Bruce County near Lake Huron, visiting our son and daughter-in-law in the old house they've bought.  It's unusual enough to find these overhangs or 'forebays' on a barn in Ontario, but I can't remember another barn with this on two sides.  Nor can I remember one on the west side of a barn.  They're usually placed on the east or south to provide winter shelter for the cattle.

These barns are not doing so well in contrast.  This one stands forlorn, the farmhouse that once sat with it long gone.  It's remarkable how many years a barn like this can still stand; the timber framework of big posts and beams, all notched and pegged together, is very strong.

This barn, and its accompanying drive shed, has been going downhill for several years.  The house still stands here, but vacant.  A vacant unheated house over a winter or two here is a disaster.  It's still a mystery how farms like this can fall into ruin and apparently be abandoned, but it happens.

Linking to:

The Barn Collective



15 comments:

  1. It's understandable that forebays weren't used much there, most of your barns seem to be in the English tradition. Down here the vast majority of barns are what is usually called Pennsylvania bank barns which always had a forebay. The forebay provided shelter in the winter and a place for the animals to get some warmth from the sun. However, the northern tier of counties in Pennsylvania were settled by people from New England and those barns are English Style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing these, FG. Like you, I wonder how a place can just be left abandoned. I always want to know the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do feel for some of these old barns and farm houses falling apart and abandon it is a real shame . I guess they stay abandon cause no one can afford to fix them up and most want open concept I see so much potential with these old farm houses and barns just wish I had the $$ to fix a few up. Lovely photos . Thanks for sharing . Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great barn views. They hold lots of secrets and family history, many of which we will never discover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them all, but Barn #1, I could live there, peaceful, lovely outlook, and with some trees, a hill behind and a fence in front, perfect.The last one, a sad story there, but still lovable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many different old barns around the country side always makes me wonderful what happened to the owners from years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all have different designs or style. The one that is falling apart actually had the newest paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent barn views. Sad to see the forlorn ones and curious about their story.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your landscapes are so beautiful, those barns were built to last!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I see the old barns, I always wonder about the people who owned them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I love old barns. Yours are so unique. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have though that some wealthy person from the city would have bought that vacant farm for a weekend place!
    I passed the bunny 3 times on the way up & 3 times on the way down. I have done it 10 times up in the past but am only at 4 times right now. It is surprisingly easy on the knees!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have noticed those overhangs on barns before, but never paid much attention to which side (or sides!) they were on nor direction they were facing, so I thank you for your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting barns!
    Hope you are having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete