Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Enjoying Winter Regardless!

The cold snap continues, in fact it's getting worse the next two days, but I got out there regardless this morning, ran some errands and got some photos.  I did want to prove to you that we got some brief sunny breaks and we can enjoy winter even at -20°C (-4°F).

Late yesterday afternoon we got a real sunny break, when the sun shone brightly on the neighbour's trees - for a few minutes.  Just an interesting combination of branches that lets me take this picture out the window.

This morning the sun wasn't nearly so bright, shining through the thin clouds that were coming and going.  But by playing with the exposure I did get some winter shadows for you.

Feeling better and better here, thinking I'm ready to go for a short snowshoe walk beyond the back yard.  Have to start getting some light exercise to go with all the rest I'm getting to get my strength back.

You can see how the wind has blown our light fluffy snow into a harder packed surface, with tiny drifts behind each little obstacle.  (And a few bigger drifts elsewhere).

Just to prove it was really me, yes I did put on the snowshoes and walk out back by the bird feeders to get this selfie.  Actually a cold but nice winter's day if you're dressed for it.

I got a little further too, and stopped a couple of places along the shore, here in Memorial Park.  The water on the bay rises and falls along the shoreline relentlessly, even if there are no real waves, leaving ice floes underlain by thin ice columns. 

Meanwhile our local weather warning states:  "A bitterly cold northwesterly flow will develop over southern Ontario Thursday. Extreme cold warning criteria of minus 30 is expected to be met in many places Thursday night into Friday and again Friday night into Saturday."  Send us warm vibes!


16 comments:

  1. I can’t seem to dress watmly enough to do the same. FG. You are making the most of the weather, that’s for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew!!! Sending some of our 32.6C plus up north. Love the snow pics, always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the shadows on the white snow. Stay warm up there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should never again complain of the cold...but I know I will.

    I love the long shadows in thos shots...and the last one of the ice looks BRRRRR-cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reason they put wheels under RVs is so you don't have to stay home in the winter. Great Pictures as always but just don't push your recovery too quickly.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I envy you getting outside these days. Because of the extreme cold I have only ventured out a few times for photo shoots. I dress warm but when one factors in the wind chill it feels really cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to know you're feeling so much better. I just wonder how in the world the wild animals survive that sort of cold, but mostly they do, I guess. Stay warm!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I love all the shadow shots. It is great to have the sunny days too. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are really getting clobbered up there with all those cold temperatures and snow going on. I'll bet you have thought many times how fortunate you are that you moved into town when you did. You have saved yourself a lot of snow shoveling and snow blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ice columns really stand out!

    It's a bit cooler today than it was yesterday, which seemed the most moderate of the last few days, but the temperatures are going to be dropping here as well. At present we have light snow falling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy to hear that you are making the best of the winter. Love your shadow pictures, even the one of the hulking photographer! :)
    Take it easy but continue to enjoy the beauty of it all.
    (ps - no matter how pretty you make it look, I'm not missing it)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh brrrrr!! We never get that cold here---thank goodness.
    I do love the shadows and you in the shadows too.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cold continues here too and tomorrow is supposed to be a High of 0 F.
    Beautiful pictures and I love that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice photos of winter shadows, and that last photo of ice was spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's 7 F here, but many places nearby are in negatives. Always love snow on branches and shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice post.really I apperciate your blog.Thanks for sharing.keep sharing more blogs.

    soy'vvow]oN

    ReplyDelete