Sunday, January 28, 2018

Winter Scout Camp

Does camping out in the winter, snow covering the ground and temperatures below freezing, excite you, or perhaps terrify you a little!?  Well I loved it, though I haven't done it for several decades now.  Yesterday in Owen Sound we came across the annual Owen Sound Winter Scout Camp, in Harrison Park where we went for a walk and lunch.

We had been walking a few minutes when we passed a small group of adults and boys pulling sleds through the soft snow.  Obviously something was going on.  Then we saw the tents, and talked to one of the passing adults.  It was the 54th Annual Winter Camp - yes, it's been going on since 1964.

Harrison Park has a nice small campground which provided the location, though it's not normally open in the winter.  As you can see, it was not a very good winter for it, somewhat patchy snow and mild temperatures.  But they all have to come prepared, no matter what the weather turns out to be.

A highlight is obviously the sled competition.  We didn't see it, so I can't give you the details, but each troop has to make their own sled, and participate in a race. 

Each troop has a separate campsite, and has to provide their own tents, cooking shelter, and food.  The sleds were quite varied in construction, but all about the same size.

Here a group of Scouts pulls their sled back through the campground to their campsite, four boys pulling and one steering and pushing.  We talked to several of the adults involved, and now that I'm trying to write this, I can think of all kinds of other questions we should have asked!

The Scouts all participated in several activities, including knot tying and lashing, fire lighting, rescuing, and orienteering, as well as the sled race.  They also got judged for their campsites.  Points were awarded to come up with an overall winner.  We enjoyed watching a few of these activities, and talking to several of the Scouters.  Here are photos of the fire lighting and knot tying, with the recognizable faces blacked out.
Once upon a time I was an expert at both fire-lighting and tying knots!

I was impressed with this troops campsite, and all their pennants.  The camp attracts troops from this part of Ontario, but sometimes from further away too.  Every other year, at least some Scouts from the U.S. attend and it becomes an international camp.  There must have been about a dozen different troops represented this year.

This troop is obviously well organized - all matching, modern tents.  Not what it was like when I was a Scout!  Our troop leader was really good at taking us camping though, and we had a permanent lean-to for winter camping.  I well remember learning that the way to get warm is not to sit around the fire, but to go for a walk - provided you are dressed properly and don't get wet.  I also remember our troop winning the overall championship at a big summer Jamboree.  Oh the memories!

The Orangeville Troop had obviously done well over the years.  Their pennants, blowing in the wind, included 2 Best Sled wins, 2 Best Rescuers, a Best Campers and a Best Campsite win.  I'm marking the date on our calendar and might return next year to ask more questions, and enjoy those memories.


18 comments:

  1. As you know , winter camping can be pleasant if you know what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am not a camper, no mater the season!! but i must admit that viewing your pictures intrigued me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back memories of my winter camping as a boy scout in the mid-60s. One time we were at the scout camp next to Pinery Prov Park, and it got to below zero Fahrenheit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is real fun, educating, companionship, exciting, winning or losing, life at its very best.Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burr...too cold for me. Great for the scouts though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember going winter camping with our Scout group at -25C. We all survived without frostbite.....somehow. That was in tents. Something I will always remember.
    I really liked all your barn photos in your previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! they are very brave camping in that cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It appealed to me long ago, but not any more - no use getting older if you don't get any wiser!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, neat photos of the winter camp. I have not camped in years, but never in the winter. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. whoa...Never get this Floridian out there. People die from the cold, doncha know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great! I think it's one of the best things to learn, how to survive in the winter outdoors. And yes, the best way to get warm is to go for a walk and raise your core temperature. Love this post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun time they would have I did a scout camp way back when just vague memories, of when a here but O do know we all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the cold, and I've done winter camping, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so either. I was never in the scouts!

    Terrific shots!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are some hardy Boy Scouts! But it looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure they had loads of fun but as for me, I'm not a camper anyway and certainly not in the snow and cold!! : )

    ReplyDelete